Cincinnati Bengals vs Denver Broncos Recap 9/18/2011




Bengals start the season 2-0.


I really did write that before the game was over. I had such a good feeling going into the fourth quarter. Unfortunately the Bengals lost to the Broncos 22-24

As a fan, to me this game was lost on 3rd downs. The Bengals were 1-11 on 3rd situations. That's just a terrible stat.


If J. Simpson stop spraying pam on his gloves and catches a few more balls he will be a constant threat. If he didn't drop that wide open pass in the 4th quarter the ending to this game would have been different.

I really didn't know where to start. The offense was bad in the first half, then the offense got going in the second half. But the defense gave up some unfortunate big plays in the second half. The Eric Decker touchdown in the fourth was a dagger. Even after that, the Bengals had two opportunities to take the lead.

I don't think I can blame the players for this lost. I blame it on the coaching staff for those hideous play calling on the 3rd and short yardage situations.
I have to ask, why is that when the Bengals are stuck in short yardage situations they always line up in the I formation and try to run the ball? I know Ced is good and I know the O line is good, but sometimes you just have to out think the opponents rather than out muscle them.

Before we get to all the good things that happened, I want to bitch about one more thing. What the fuck is Brandon Tate doing on this team? Tate has been more useless the Quan Cosby, and he sucked. If the Bengals had some guts, they would cut him before getting on the plane.

Ok, enough about my disappointing rants. There was a lot of good things that came from this football game. Dalton has to be an early candidate for Rookie of the year. Dalton threw for 332 yards with 2 TD.
A.J. Green is good as advertised, as he went for 10 catches for 124 yards and one TD. Oh, I almost forgot, and that catch by A.J. Green. With this game, he has officially announced his arrival in the NFL. The offense did not turn the ball over except when they turned it over on down at the end of the game.


Except one or two bad plays, the defense again played pretty well. They got a turnover, they kept pressure on Orton through out the game. But unfortunately they were gashed for 129 yards on the ground.

It's just really upsetting that the Bengals lost to basically the Broncos second string unit.
But I also have to give credit to those Broncos backups as the stopped the Bengals offense to the final two drive with the Bengals only needing a FG to win the game.

The Bengals on offense is growing, which is good news if you look at their schedule. Their upcoming game are against some weak teams (49ers, Bills, Jags, Colts, Seahawks). Could easily have a winning record before they face the Steelers on Nov 13th. But again this is the NFL and we are talking about the Bengals and could go 1-7 befor Nov. 13th.

Stats: ESPN